To facilitate anti-slip traction, this guide mentions the best ice cleats for walking. Avoid slipping, falling, and getting all bruised up this winter by taking inspiration from this post.
Beat the water-slicked ice and hard-packed snow – walk effortlessly – with ice cleats on the footwear.
To help you make the right choice, we’ve put together a list of our personal recommendations of the best ice grips for walking.
In a hurry? Our picks for the best ice cleats for hiking 2021
- Best Overall ice cleats: Yaktrax Pro Traction Cleats for Walking, Jogging, or Hiking on Snow and Ice
- Best ice cleats for every day: STABILicers Walk Traction Cleat for Walking on Ice and Snow
- Best ice cleats for versatility: Ice Trekkers Diamond Grip Traction cleats
- Best ice cleats for all-surface: Kahtoola NanoSpikes
- Best price value ice cleats: Yaktrax Walk Traction Cleats for Walking on Snow and Ice
- Best ice cleats for hiking: Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultra traction device
- Best ice cleats for boots: ICETRAX Pro Winter Ice Grips for Shoes and Boots
- Best ice cleats for glacier trekking: Hillsound Trail PRO Crampon Traction Device
Top-rated snow spikes-Comparison table
Here we share an overview of the best spikes for shoes and boots.
Best spikes for shoes
|Yaktrax pro Traction Cleats||
Walking, hiking, and jogging
|STABILicers Walk Traction Cleats||
Great every day cleats for walking on ice and snow
|Ice Trekkers Diamond Grip Traction Cleats||
|Yaktrax Walk Traction Cleats||
Best price/value cleats for walking on snow and ice
|Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultra||
|ICETRAX Pro Winter Ice Grips||
|Hillsound Trail PRO Crampon||
Best Overall Ice Cleats
Yaktrax Pro Traction Ice Cleats for Walking, Jogging, or Hiking on Snow and Ice
- Perfect for sidewalks, job sites, and trails
- Natural rubber webbing
- 1.4 mm sturdy, abrasion-resistant steel coils
- Durable rubber foot-frame
- Removable over-foot strap
- Breakage-resistant up to -41 degrees Fahrenheit
- Ultra-lightweight, spike-less construction
- Designed for a perfect fit
- Breakage- and abrasion-resistant durability
- 360-degree traction
- Velcro® straps make them easy to put on and remove
- Choosing a perfect size can be tricky; for oversized shoes, order a bigger size
- May not be super durable and last just one winter for rigorous flaneurs
Yaktrax® Pro Traction Cleats are hands down, one of the best ice spikes for shoes.
They are designed to secure slip-free traction and make you more confident walking on packed snow, ice, and other wintry slick surfaces. Their lightweight construction feels comfortable for first-time users as well.
Featuring a unique, spike-less design, the Yaktrax® Pro Traction Device facilitates the same steady stride of dry surfaces to which you are accustomed.
With these semi-durable, anti-slip cleats on, you can be athletic without the risk of slipping and falling in temperature as low as -41 degrees Fahrenheit.
With features and construction that can endure a variety of winter environments, these are super-functional snow cleats for shoes and winter boots alike.
Avid hikers who want their cleats to last for several holidays may want to look for more durable versions but these cleats offer a good price/value solution for most.
Best ice cleats for everyday
STABILicers Walk Traction Cleat for Walking on Ice and Snow
- Aggressive traction-securing design
- Multi-directional cleats
- Sturdy steel clean construction
- New heel and toe pull design
- Cleats tread design
- Helps maintain a natural stride
- Compact, easy-to-store construction
- Easy to put on and off
- Full foot protection by total sole coverage
- Sizes can be inaccurate, best to buy a bigger size
- It might take time to get used to their new design
- Perfect on ice, effective on snow
Designed with multi-directional cleats, the STABILicers® live up to their name by providing excellent stability on ice and snow.
Their improved heel and toe pull build provides an easy fit and secure grip, thus assuring a non-slippery stride across wintry surfaces.
They tuck on shoes and boots in one go and are just as quick to remove as well.
Making the STABILicers® Walk a go-to option for ice cleats for hiking is its ability to walk smoothly on hard surfaces like icy gravel.
In addition to the technical features, these cleats fold easily and become compact to fit in a purse or a pack.
Whether you are looking for cleats to go about your daily chores, walk the snow-packed pavements, shovel the driveway, or take a hike, these cleats undertake all tasks efficiently.
Best ice cleats for versatility
Ice Trekkers Diamond Grip Traction cleats
- Shoe grips
- Self-clearing design
- Minimizes snow or ice build-up
- Compact size
- Secure traction for outstanding grip
- Ultra-durable build
- Facilitates stable stride
- Easy to store
- Easy to put on and remove
- Untreated steel construction can lead to oxidation if manufacturers care instructions aren’t followed
- Might not last for more than a season
- Poor warranty
ICEtrekkers Diamond Grip is a versatile pair of ice grips for boots, tennis shoes, and dress shoes.
Featuring patented diamond bead design with sharp biting edges, they offer aggressive traction in rough winter walking conditions.
These cleats are dependable whether you are walking on glassy ice or trekking through snowy forests.
All, including commuters, dog walkers, trekkers, hikers, and fishermen, can use these shoe spikes for snow for a confident stride.
The durable construction and secure fit also make them a perfect pick for industrial users.
Great for long alpine hikes.
You can hike on ice all day with confidence. Works great for not slipping on the ice.
Best ice cleats for all surfaces
Kahtoola NanoSpikes: Kahtoola NANO spikes Footwear Traction
- 10 spikes per foot
- Raised heel tabs
- 1-year warranty
- Available in all sizes: extra small, small, medium, large and extra-large
- Lightweight; weighs less than microspikes
- Provides excellent traction
- Easy to put on and off
- A handy carrying bag comes included
- Self-clearing design prevents snow build-up
- Spikes aren’t replaceable
- Might not stay securely on feet
- Toes might start to hurt after a while
- Less suitable for hiking on steep hills
The snug, responsive fit of NANOspikes makes them ideal snow cleats for hiking, trekking, running, and exploring even on slippery surfaces of frigid winter.
Their thoughtful design covers the entire sole with 10 spikes that are, again, surrounded with shock-absorbing cleats.
Thus, with this winter gear on, expect your steps to be non-slippery, safe, and more confident.
Since the spikes used on the cleats are made of tungsten, they are corrosion-resistant and promise to last longer.
With built-in snow release, you wouldn’t have to worry about snow build-up, unwanted weight, and extra efforts.
These lightweight NANOspikes are for multisport purposes. They are great for walking, running, and hiking on ice and snow.
The raised heel tab makes the cleats easy to put on and off.
Best Price Value Ice Cleats
Yaktrax Walk Traction Cleats for Walking on Snow and Ice.
- 1.2 mm abrasion-resistant steel Skid Lock coils
- Rust-resistant zinc coating on coils
- Durable Poly Elastomer outer band webbing
- 360 degrees of traction
- Heel tabs
- Spike-less, lightweight build
- Excellent grip on snow and ice
- Abrasion- and rust-resistant
- Perfect for elderlies too
- Easy to put on and off
- Might break easily on hard surfaces
- Might turn out to be good for light use only
Yet another pair of ice cleats to embrace winters and continue with the sporty routine.
Features rust-resistant coating on Skid Lock coils, the Yaktrax® Walk Traction provides high traction on slippery, snowy surfaces. To put it simply, with these devices snug on your boots or shoes, you wouldn’t freeze in the tracks.
Above all, these are versatile and ultra-lightweight ice cleats for walking that make a comfortable choice not only for the sporty youth but also for elderly pedestrians and middle-age professionals.
By facilitating stability on glassy ice, they prevent slipping, falling, injuries, and bruises.
These ice cleats for shoes and boots are perfect for people of all ages. They’re not as durable as some others that are featured but should last without any problems as long as you avoid hiking on asphalt, rocks or any other non-snowy surfaces.
They can easily be put on and off so it shouldn’t be a problem.
They ensure a safe walk whether it is a short one to the mailbox or a long one to the main square.
Best ice cleats for hiking
Hillsound Trail Crampon ultra traction device
- 18 stainless steel spikes
- Three 2/3-inch spikes on the heel
- 2-year warranty
- Elastomer harness
- Double link side chains
- Carry bad comes included
- High traction on packed snow and ice
- Harness and strap ensure a secure fit
- Durable construction
- Easy on/off
- Snow might cake up the spikes
- More functional on ice
- Not 100% stainless steel
Constructed durably with an elastomer harness, double link side chains, and warranty-covered spikes, the Trail Crampon Ultra is the ideal choice for serious hikers.
With added traction, easy-to-put on binding, and the ability to create a snug fit, they also become the best ice grips for boots, hiking shoes, and trail runners.
The cleats are meant to come in handy for not just hikers, but also fast-packers, trekkers, and ice fishers.
What else? These devices come with a convenient, puncture-proof bag for easy storage and packing after adventure.
Boasting a sturdy design that creates high traction, these are comfortable and functional ice shoes for hiking in frigid temperature, on snow and ice.
Best Ice Cleats for Boots
ICETRAX Pro Winter Ice Grips for Shoes and Boots – Ice Cleats for Snow and Ice, StayON Toe, Reflective Heel
- Improved ICETRAX V3 premium ice grips
- Carbon Steel HEX ice cleat crampons
- Proprietary snow tread traction system
- Innovative StayON toe cap
- Unique reflective panels
- Durable reinforced joints
- Special rubber compound surface
- Designed for Canada-like harsh winters
- Super-secure traction
- Ensures a perfect fit
- Easy to put on and off
- Reflective panels offer nighttime safety
- Durable in frigid environments
- Takes time to feel used to the unique sole of these cleats
- May not feel too comfortable for long-distance walking
- Size can be inaccurate, may need to order a bigger size
Designed with extreme winter conditions in mind, the ICETRAX Pro Winter Ice Grips prove to be a reliable option to walk, run, jog, or hike in snow-laden areas.
Additionally, the strategically-placed eleven spikes provide 360° ice-piercing traction on the slickest surfaces.
ICETRAX Pro Winter Ice Grips flaunts a slew of unique features ranging from reflective panels for safety in low visibility conditions to StayON toe design for an ergonomic fit.
The tooted SNOTEK cleats are rigorously tested to ensure uncompromised dependability.
The sturdy, compound rubber construction also compliments the toughness of hiking in insulated winter footwear.
These feature-packed snow cleats for hiking and walking fit perfectly on winter boots. Their unique build offers durability, safety around the clock, responsive fit, traction, and comfort.
Best Ice Cleats for Glacier Walking
Hillsound Trail PRO Crampon Traction Device
- 10 carbon steel 3/4″-1″ spikes
- Anti-snowballing pads
- Tested in the Himalayas
- Simple ratchet buckle bindings
- Keeps stride steady on deeper terrain
- Sheds snow to reduce snow build-up
- Length resizable using tool-less spring bar
- At 280 g lighter than most technical cleat gear
- Ideal for glacier travel
- May not be great for ice-fishing, cleats might pop off on bending
Hillsound® Trail Crampon Pro is a harmonious combination of traditional crampon design and non-technical crampon comfort.
Meant for harshest winters and tested in the Himalayas, these devices leave no place for second thoughts – they are the best ice cleats for hiking, trekking, trail running, and other extreme glacial sports.
Equipped with ratchet buckle bindings, these crampons fasten effortlessly to most hiking footwear including insulated and oversized boots.
The adventure seekers in glacial conditions will find Hillsound® Trail Crampon Pro to be a fail-safe option.
Tips for buying ice cleats for walking
The process of selecting and buying ice grippers for shoes can get confusing, frustrating, and time-consuming.
Therefore, when looking for spikes for shoes, ask yourself the following questions.
How often will you use them?
You don’t want to get stuck with a fragile pair of cleats if you are a flaneur or hiker. At the same time, you want them to be flexible so that they don’t hinder your maneuvers.
On which terrain will you use them?
Considering the terrain helps you choose the best grips for walking on ice for maximum safety and comfort.
You are also able to pick the right material – sturdy steel, stainless steel, or lightweight aluminum.
How easy are they to put on and take off?
Ice cleats come in three different binding styles – step-in, strap-on, and hybrid.
The straps are also available in various fabrics like rubber and nylon. A strap-on is usually ideally for mountaineering boots and creating traction while hiking in non-technical terrains.
Hybrid and step-in are more appropriate for technical terrains.
Which size of ice cleats do I need?
Carefully look at the sizing chart and read the reviews.
To put it simply, the most effective way to ensure you’re choosing the best ice cleats for walking or hiking is by buying according to your needs.
When the season is pristine with snow and ice, getting to the mailbox can be a slippery job.
Hiking, though a tempting recreational activity, can also get pretty unsafe and messy.
To ensure that you are enjoying winters to the fullest without getting bruised, take the help of these best ice cleats for walking and hiking.